It is the vehicle owner’s responsibility to insure their vehicle is properly registered. The penalty for late registration with the ad valorem is 10% of the tax ($5.00 minimum) and 25% of the tag fee. These penalties begin immediately following the due date.
REGISTERING A VEHICLE
Bring the following documentation:
· Georgia state driver’s license
· Proof of insurance on the vehicle. Georgia liability insurance is required to be transmitted to the state’s database by your insurance company in order to register your vehicle. The vehicle must be covered by liability insurance at all times or a lapse in coverage penalty will apply. If you cancel the insurance, you must also cancel the registration.
· Newly purchased vehicles from a licensed dealer must be registered within thirty (30) business days. Vehicles purchased from any other source (ie. individual to individual sales) must be registered within seven (7) business days. If you sell a vehicle, you keep your plate. Your plate can be transferred to new vehicles that are registered to the same first owner. Proof of title (bill of sale for a 1985 and older) is required to purchase a tag or transfer a tag from a vehicle that you no longer own.
· TAVT (Title Ad Valorem Tax) will be due when the vehicle is registered in Georgia.
New Motor Vehicle Title Tax
Effective March 1, 2013, sales tax and annual ad valorem tax on newly-purchased vehicles will be removed and replaced with a new TAVT (Title Ad Valorem Tax) of 7.00% in 2015.
· If you purchase a vehicle on or after March 1, 2013, you will pay the new title tax when you apply for the title and register the vehicle.
· The new title tax is not due every year but is due each time the vehicle is sold and titled. It applies to dealer sales, as well as, sales between individuals.
· The new title tax is based on a percentage (7.00% in 2015) of the fair market value, not the sales price of the vehicle as determined by the Georgia Department of Revenue.
· You will continue to pay the annual ad valorem tax on vehicle(s) that you currently own.
· If you purchased a vehicle in Georgia between January 1, 2012 and March 1, 2013 (when the new program begins), you have the option of paying the new title tax instead of the current annual ad valorem tax. You have from March 1, 2013 until December 31, 2013, to opt into the new program. NOTE: Vehicles purchased out-of-state are not eligible to opt in.
· All other existing annual vehicle registrations requirements, including annual tag renewal fees and decals remain in effect for all vehicle owners.
For a link to the Georgia Department of Revenue’s FAQs, please click here: http://onlinemvd.dor.ga.gov/TAP/faqs.aspx
For a link to the Georgia Department of Revenue’s TAVT calculator, please click here: http://onlinemvd.dor.ga.gov/TAP/welcome.aspx
New residents in Georgia must register their vehicles within thirty (30) days of establishing residency in Georgia. New Georgia residents must have the following documents in order to register a vehicle.
Vehicle with no lien:
· Out-of-state Title
· Current Registration from previous state
· Proof of Georgia insurance
· Georgia driver’s license with a Walker County address
· Current mileage
Vehicle with lien:
· Loan agreement with complete name and address of lien holder
· T-17 Affidavit of lien holder, available at the tag office
· Proof of Georgia insurance
· Georgia driver’s license with Walker County address
· Current mileage
Taxes on motor vehicles are due ON the owner’s birthday under the old Ad Valorem system. Vehicles owned by a business under the Ad Valorem system will pay tax based on the first letter of the business name. The tax is based on the 40% value of the vehicle. Taxes are due on a vehicle even when it is not in use.
VEHICLE TAG RENEWALS
Tags expire and taxes are due on the birthday of the first owner listed on the registration. Renewals must be made on or before the birth date of the primary owner when owned by an individual, or on the last day of the month for a business. Renewing your registration late will result in a penalty. Failure to receive a bill does not relieve the penalty. Renewal notices are mailed out approximately 30 days prior to renewal. If you do not receive your registration renewal, call the tag office with your tag number and one will be mailed to you.
Vehicle tag renewals can be processed as follows:
· By mail, by completing the renewal form received in the mail and mailing with fees to Walker County Tax Commissioner, P O Box 628, LaFayette, GA 30728
· By phone, by calling the Tag Office at 706-638-2961. We accept Visa or MasterCard (Debit or Credit Cards) for renewals over the telephone.
· In person, by bringing the renewal form along with payment of cash, check, Visa, or MasterCard to the Tax Commissioner’s office. For more information about our office locations, please view our contact page.
· Online, by renewing your registration over the internet at https://mvd.dor.ga.gov/tags/index.aspx. You will need your RIN number that is available on your registration renewal notice.
For further information regarding vehicle registration and for a listing of printable forms, visit the State of Georgia Motor Vehicle Division website at: http://dor.georgia.gov/motor-vehicles.